nanog mailing list archives

Re: Abuse@ contacts

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 15:44:39 -0500

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Gavin Pearce <Gavin.Pearce () 3seven9 com> wrote:
Hello,

After a weekend of heavy spam last month, we decided to fire some
reports over to the abuse contacts for each relevant IP or domain - some
US/Europe based, others from more "obscure" locations.

We've not had a reply from any of the reports sent over, other than some
automated bounces. Each report from us contained detailed information
about IP, date, headers, spam content, relevant ranges etc ...

How many of you (honestly) actively manage and respond to abuse@ contact
details listed in WHOIS? Or have had any luck with abuse@ contacts in
the past? Who's good and who isn't?

lack or reply to abuse@ does not mean the box is unmonitored... just
that they don't feel it's helpful to reply to inbound mail with ..
more mail, especially when much of the inbound mail is automated.

Apologies in advance if this has been around before - I'm new here.   (:

sure.

-chris