nanog mailing list archives

Re: "Unlimited" wireless data...

From: Brielle Bruns <bruns () 2mbit com>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 19:03:49 -0700

On 12/3/10 4:47 PM, Nathan Eisenberg wrote:
Their definition of unlimited tends to be "barely acceptable
throughput levels, until you start streaming youtube/netflix or doing
a long-running download or using bittorrent to seed files to your
work PC and laptop or using your VPN to retrieve a document, in which
case, we won't turn you off, we'll just silently jail you into a
32-128kbps bandwidth profile.   Also, have some poorly implemented
NAT on our ludicrously underpowered CPEs!"

Biggest problems with the home base station Clear modems from Motorola is that you can't turn off the NAT and just use it as a pass through. I believe with the 'normal' non Clear firmware, its not locked like that.

The other fun I noticed with those same modems is that some have come wide open, public facing web ui unprotected with a default password.

Yay for 'customer experience'.

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org