nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni Fiber Last Mile - a contrary opinion

From: Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 23:34:37 -0600

Once upon a time, Michael DeMan <nanog () deman com> said:
On Dec 26, 2010, at 8:07 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
The AT&T (formerly BellSouth) cabinets around here mostly have natural
gas generators included, so they almost never go out.  The cable
companies, on the other hand, might have enough battery to last through
a brownout.

Interesting - out of curiosity, how big are these cabinets/pedestals?  Or would you by chance know details on the
natgas power system they are using?

I don't know; I've just seen them driving by (since other cabinets don't
have a gas meter, they stand out).  It looks like they set up two
cabinets about 6-8 feet wide, 3 feet deep, and 4-5 feet high (just
guestimating).  Maybe one cabinet for power/batteries/generator and one
for the telco gear?

Natgas is not ideal in a full-on disaster scenario like an earthquake,
but probably could add another '9' onto service levels?  I have never
heard of or seen such a thing, but it is a really good idea.

I'm in north Alabama; earthquakes aren't a significant problem here.
The biggest I can remember was something like a 3.2, just enough to hear
and feel.  We're far enough from New Madrid that it shouldn't be an
issue.

Our main problem is severe storms (thunderstorms and tornados), the
once-every-few-decades ice storm, and the random exploding transformer.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net>