nanog mailing list archives

Re: Alacarte Cable and Geeks

From: William Allen Simpson <william.allen.simpson () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 16:36:49 -0500

From: "Robert E. Seastrom"<rs () seastrom com>
...  I can see a future where you buy internet from
the cable co and they give you the basic cable TV channel lineup at
"no charge" but in reality, you're paying for the cable internet what
you used to pay for both cable internet and TV.

Here in NoVA (Comcast former Adelpha territory), the future is now.

I used to have internet-only service (there is little on TV that I
care about).  A bit over a year and a half ago, we added basic cable
to the service.  Total additional cost per month to go from
Internet-only to Internet-plus-TV-bundle (same speed) was about $4.

Hmmm. Better than the situation in my Comcast area. Internet w/o any
cable costs MORE than basic cable (i.e. over the air + PEG). ...

Likewise, here in Michigan I helped a brother setup Comcast, and discovered
that the charge for Internet + Basic Cable was about $2 per month *cheaper*
than Internet-only.