nanog mailing list archives

Re: "potential new and different architectural approach" to solve the Comcast - L3 dispute

From: Steve Schultze <sjs () princeton edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 15:42:06 -0500

On Dec 17, 2010, at 12:35 PM, Jeff Wheeler wrote:
On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Benson Schliesser
<bensons () queuefull net> wrote:
I have no direct knowledge of the situation, but my guess:  I suspect the proposal was along the lines of
longest-path / best-exit routing by Level(3).  In other words, if L(3) carries the traffic (most of the way) to the
customer, then Comcast has no complaint--the costs can be more fairly distributed.  The "modest investment" is
probably in tools to evaluate traffic and routing metrics, to make this work.  This isn't really *new* to the
peering community, but it isn't normal either.

That is a reasonable guess, but Level3's FCC filing yesterday spells
out with certainty that Level3 did offer to "cold potato" traffic onto
Comcast (it does not mention the technical means e.g. MED honoring,
CDN smarts, or otherwise) and that Comcast refused.
[...]

Comcast's latest:
http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/comment/view?id=6016064677