nanog mailing list archives

Re: Should routers send redirects by default?

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 08:12:57 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010, Stephen Stuart wrote:

Once upon a time

I think the question is what sensible defaults should be. In my environment we turn off proxy-arp and redirects, and it is my firm belief that this is actually what should be the default.

In my opinion:

A host SHOULD support listening to redirects and MUST have a knob to turn off this listening if implemented. A router MUST have redirects off as default but MUST support a knob turning them on and when sending a redirect it MUST forward the packet that generated the redirect.

I know most of the above is completely against current standards, but for me these are more in tune with todays reality in networking as I see them.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se