nanog mailing list archives

Re: Lightly used IP addresses

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 16:16:31 -0700

On Aug 13, 2010, at 11:31 AM, Ken Chase wrote:

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 02:15:51PM -0400, John R. Levine said:
I don't entirely understand the process.  Here's the flow chart as far
as I've figured it out:

1.  A sells a /20 of IPv4 space to B for, say, $5,000

2.  A tells ARIN to transfer the chunk to B

3.  ARIN says no, B hasn't shown that they need it

4.  A and B say screw it, and B announces the space anyway

5.  ???

6.  ARIN receives a fraud/abuse complaint that A's space is being used
by B.
7.  ARIN discovers that A is no longer using the space in accordance
with their RSA
8.  ARIN reclaims the space and A and B are left to figure out who owes
what to whom.

9.  A and B ignore ARIN's email and continue to announce what they've been
announcing.

10.  ARIN attempts to allocate the /20 to someone else, who is not amused.

Note that at this point ARIN presumably has no more v4 space left, so a
threat never to allocate more space to A or B isn't very scary.  Given its
limited practical leverage, ARIN is only effective insofar as its members
and customers agree that playing by ARIN's rules is more beneficial than
ignoring them.

Right, and Im answering my own question here, for (8) about the reclaiming -
what upstream is going to stop carrying prefixes from a downstream that's
'illegally' announcing them? Is this upstream going to cut that customer off and
lose the revenue, just to satisfy ARIN's bleating? From what I gather, all that
ARIN can do is remove the NS records for the i-a.a reverse zone for the offending
block, making SMTP a little trickier from the block, but not much else.

ARIN can do quite a bit more if the resources are under RSA. If they are legacy
resources (which I don't believe there are such things as legacy /20s), then,
it's a bit murkier, but, I wouldn't completely count ARIN out.

Unless I didnt see the other large sticks ARIN's carrying? I've never seen them
send hired goons to anyone's door... yet?

Contract law anyone? Perhaps you should re-read your RSAs.

Owen