nanog mailing list archives

Re: net-neutrality

From: JC Dill <jcdill.lists () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 08:32:44 -0700

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 12:23:01 CDT, Jeff Harper said:
This is kind of like one person saying they're not going to listen to a
radio station anymore.

"And the only reason I'm singing you this song now is cause you may know
somebody in a similar situation, or you may be in a similar situation, and if
your in a situation like that there's only one thing you can do and that's walk
into the shrink wherever you are ,just walk in say "Shrink, You can get
anything you want, at Alice's restaurant.".  And walk out.  You know, if one
person, just one person does it they may think he's really sick and they won't
take him.  And if two people, two people do it, in harmony, they may think
they're both faggots and they won't take either of them. And three people do
it, three, can you imagine, three people walking in singin a bar of Alice's
Restaurant and walking out. They may think it's an organization.  And can you,
can you imagine fifty people a day,I said fifty people a day walking in singin
a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out.  And friends they may thinks it's
a movement."

Of course, that *does* require finding 49 other like-minded people.

You may find these variations even more apt for this discussion:

http://www.arlo.net/resources/lyrics/alices-nntp.shtml

I went over to the Commissar, said "Commissar, you got a lotta damn
gall to ask me if I've rehabilitated myself, I mean, I mean, I'm just
sittin' here, sittin' on the group H bench 'cause you want to know if
I'm *moral* enough to join a Company to grep mail, burn electronic books,
and censor feeds after bein' an NNTP hacker."  He looked at me, said
"Kid, we don't like your kind, and we're gonna send your .newsrc down
to California..."

And friends, somewhere in California, enshrined in some little directory,
is a study in ones and zeroes of my .newsrc.  And the only reason I'm
singin' you this song is 'cause you may know somebody in a similar
situation, or *YOU* may be in a similar situation, and if you're in a
situation like that, there's only one thing you can do and that's post
a message to your company's internal newsgroup, saying "Commissar, you
can get anything you want on Alice's NNTP server."

And log off.

You know, if one person, just one person does it, they may think he's
really sick and won't fire him just yet, just send him down to a Training
Session until his brains are jellied up.  And if two people, two people
do it, in harmony, they may think they're starting a cascade and will only
fire one of 'em to establish a precedent and put the fear-o-God in the rest
of their workers.  And three people, three, can you imagine, three people
logging on, posting a message containing a bar of Alice's NNTP Server and
walking out, they may think it's an organization.  And can you imagine
fifty people a day, I said fifty people a day logging on, postin' a bar
of "Alice's NNTP Server" and logging off.  And friends, they may think
it's a movement.

And that's what it is, the Alice's NNTP Server Anti-Censorship Movement,
and all you got to do to join is quote it the next time it comes around
on the screen.
With feelin'.

http://www.arlo.net/resources/lyrics/alice_flame.shtml

He looked at me and said, ``Kid, we don't like your kind!  We're
gonna send your subnet mask off to rs.internic.net!''  And, friends,
somewhere in Washington, enshrined on some 5.25 inch floppy disk,
is a study in ones and zeros of my brain-damaged programming style...

And the only reason I'm singin' you the song now is 'cause you may
know somebody in a similar situation. Or you may be in a similar
situation, and if you're in a situation like that, there's only
one thing you can do:

[ CHORUS ]

You know, if one person, just one person, does it, they may think
he's really dangerous and they won't flame him.

And if two people do it, in harmony, they may think they're both
Perl hackers and they won't flame either of them.

And if three people do it!  Can you imagine three people loggin'
in, singin' a bar of ``Alice's Usenet Flame'' and loggin' out? They
may think it's an re-implementation of sendmail!

And can you imagine fifty people a day? I said FIFTY people a day,
loggin' in, singin' a bar of ``Alice's Usenet Flame'' and loggin'
out? Friends, they may think it's a MOVEMENT, and that's what it
is: THE INTERNET GLOBAL ANTI-LOSSAGE MOVEMENT! And all you gotta
do to join is to sing it the next time it comes around on the
/var/spool/news/in.coming directory.

With feelin'.