nanog mailing list archives

Re: Peering Exchange Configurations

From: Joe Abley <jabley () hopcount ca>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 12:47:45 -0400

On 2010-04-08, at 12:42, Elmar K. Bins wrote:

jabley () hopcount ca (Joe Abley) wrote:

1) Is a private AS typically used for the exchange side of the session?
No. Also many exchange points do not run route servers at all, and expect participants to build bilateral BGP
sessions directly between each other.

...which is a shame. Routeservers in place gives you a nice benefit
upon hooking up to the exchange and before you have even found out
who is on the grid (anyone have a list for NOTA?).

I've never had a problem getting a participant list for NOTA from Terremark.

One down-side of route servers on a shared exchange fabric is that the layer-2 path through the exchange for the BGP
sessions does not always match the layer-2 path through the exchange for traffic. This means that AS1 might continue to
learn AS2's routes through the route server even though there's a layer-2 problem that prevents AS1 and AS2's peering
routers from talking directly to each other. Hilarity may result.

I've never seen such a problem on small exchanges where the layer-2 fabric is simple, but I have seen it more than once
on larger, more complicated exchanges.

My personal preference is to focus peering energy on bilats, and not to rely on a route server. But I understand the
savings in opex that route servers can provide on busy exchanges.

Joe