nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

From: Antonio Querubin <tony () lava net>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 06:26:26 -1000 (HST)

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010, John Palmer \(NANOG Acct\) wrote:

Was looking at the ARIN IP6 policy and cannot find any reference to those who have IP4 legacy space.

Isn't there an automatic allocation for those of us who have legacy IP space.

Nope.

If not, is ARIN saying we have to pay them a fee to use IP6?

Yep.

Isn't this a disincentive for us to move up to IP6?

Yep. Just went through this with one organization which I hadn't realized at the time was a legacy IPv4 holder. The fees were a surprise (I thought they'd already been paying those fees). Needless to say, their IPv6 plans are on hold indefinitely.

Those with legacy IP4 space should have the equivalent IP6 space under the same terms. Or am I missing something?

But they're not exactly the same terms. ARIN 'terms' for the legacy holder probably didn't exist at the time of their IPv4 allocation.

Antonio Querubin
808-545-5282 x3003
e-mail/xmpp:  tony () lava net