nanog mailing list archives

Re: what about 48 bits?

From: Larry Sheldon <LarrySheldon () cox net>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 18:28:09 -0500

On 4/5/2010 15:36, Jon Lewis wrote:
On Sun, 4 Apr 2010, A.B. Jr. wrote:

Hi,

Lots of traffic recently about 64 bits being too short or too long.

What about mac addresses? Aren't they close to exhaustion? Should be. Or it
is assumed that mac addresses are being widely reused throughout the world?
All those low cost switches and wifi adapters DO use unique mac addresses?

Since they only really need to be unique per broadcast domain, it doesn't
really matter.  You can I could use the same MAC addresses on all our home
gear, and never know it.  For manufacturers, it's probably reasonably safe
to reuse MAC addresses they put on 10mbit ISA ethernet cards...if they
were a manufacturer back then.

Seems like they have be unique within a DHCP "domain".  And you'd have
to pretty much outlaw mobiles.

Wouldn't you?  (Is there an accepted bit of nomenclature for all of the
networks that forward DHCP traffic to a given cluster of servers?)
--
Democracy: Three wolves and a sheep voting on the dinner menu.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca

ICBM Targeting Information:  http://tinyurl.com/4sqczs