nanog mailing list archives

Re: What is "The Internet" TCP/IP or UNIX-to-UNIX ?

From: Robert Brockway <robert () timetraveller org>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 22:45:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 4 Apr 2010, Jim Burwell wrote:

I agree.  I remember back in the 80s when I first got access to UseNet
and UUCP based email thinking and saying things like "the net will
change the world", because for the first time people from all over the
globe were communicating fairly openly and inexpensively, and somehow
the internet and UUCP seemed to come in "under the radar" back then.  I
had more than a few people scoff at me for thinking that way though.  :-)

I know exactly what you mean. I first connected got online in 1992 (late by the standards of some around here :) ). Right away I knew it was going to change everything. I tried to explain this to people but mostly got a blank stare in return.

These days you hear people occassionally say that no one predicted the explosive impact of the Internet. I did, and so did a lot of others. I will say that I expected it was going to take us longer to get to this point (near ubiquitous network access in the developed world, and network technologies being widely adopted by government & business to deliver services).

In any case, we're at the beginning of this revolution, not the end. I expect it will take several centuries for the full impact of the information revolution to become evident.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Email: robert () timetraveller org