nanog mailing list archives

Re: What is "The Internet" TCP/IP or UNIX-to-UNIX ?

From: Bruce Williams <williams.bruce () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 14:38:46 -0700

This is an example of the law that the number of replys is directly
propotional to the cluelessness of the post?

Bruce

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 1:43 PM, Jaap Akkerhuis <jaap () nlnetlabs nl> wrote:

   It was, for at least some versions (V2 and later?), if the
   intermediate site(s) allowed execution of the uucp command. 25
   years on the brain is fuzzy on the details ...

   You could certainly add uux and uux to the list of legal remote
   commands, but I confess that my memory is also dim about whether

       uucp file a!b!c

   would be translated automatically.  It has indeed been a while...

Yup. The real work was done by uucico (using an x.21 type protocol
implemented by Greg Chesson of EGREG fame if I remember correctly).
UUCP and friends where front-ends for it and has been reimplemnted
as the honeydanber version. Then there were the AT&T Basic Network
Utilities version, Taylor uucp, the EUUG version etc. of these.

       jaap

--
- Bruce Williams