nanog mailing list archives

RE: legacy /8

From: "Stephen Repetski" <skrepetski () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 14:33:07 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: James Hess [mailto:mysidia () gmail com]
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2010 2:08 PM
To: George Bonser
Cc: nanog () nanog org
Subject: Re: legacy /8

On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 11:31 AM, George Bonser <gbonser () seven com>
wrote:
Any school teaching v4 at this point other than as a legacy protocol
that they teach on the second year because "they might see it in the
wild" should be closed down.  All new instruction that this point
should begin and end with v6 with v4 as an "aside".  But that isn't.

They would be doing the student, their customer, a disservice to not teach
both, with emphasis on V4,  just because one possible speculated outcome
in the years ahead is that IPv4 becomes a legacy protocol.
Schools do not have crystal balls, and they can't know how important
IPv4 or IPv6 will be to those taught later.

I've been taking some networking classes for my undergrad college degree,
and there've only been about 3 mentions of IPv6 during the whole time I've
been here (at supposedly a high-tech school). Also, did I mention we're
still being taught classful networking? I've never heard my professors udder
the CIDR acronym or talk about subnetting. Hopefully this changes as
students progress into  the higher-level classes, but I wouldn't want to be
the one attempting to get a job with no knowledge of what's changed since my
professor was in school.

Stephen (Trey) Repetski
skr3394 () rit edu | skrepetski () gmail com
srepetsk.net    | RIT '13, TJHSST '09