nanog mailing list archives

Re: legacy /8

From: Jim Burwell <jimb () jsbc cc>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 00:11:24 -0700

On 4/2/2010 21:23, Randy Bush wrote:
Anyway, I see it as pretty much moot, since many major players (Comcast,
Google, etc) are in the midst of major IPv6 deployments as we speak.
Eventually you will have to jump on the bandwagon too.  :-)

clue0: the isp for which i work deployed ipv6 in the '90s.  we were the
       world's first commercial ipv6 isp deployment.

<golf clap>
clue1: not only can i do the math, but i can remember history

Heh.  I didn't really doubt that you understood the math.  Was just
being a bit snarky.  :p  (this whole thread is sort of flame bait anyway
hehe).

Anyway, with just 2000::/3 alone, there's about 500 million /32s.
According to the CIDR report, there's ~34,000 ASs in BGP right now.
Lets double that "for future growth" just for fun.  If we do that, it
means if we divided those /32s evenly among all of those ASes, each
would get about 7800 of them.  Each one contains 64Ki /48s.  And again,
that's just one /3 of the entire v6 space (yeah I know they won't be
divided evenly ... different sizes orgs, regional assignments, etc, etc,
etc).

Anyway, I think the addy space will tide us over for quite a while, even
if it's "not enough" as your last post seemed to indicate.  Hey, and if
we ever do run out, we can just NAT!  ;) ;) ;)

-Jim