nanog mailing list archives

Re: legacy /8

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 16:53:39 -0700

On Apr 2, 2010, at 4:40 PM, Brielle Bruns wrote:

On 4/2/10 3:01 PM, Jeroen van Aart wrote:
I am curious. Once we're nearing exhausting all IPv4 space will there
ever come a time to ask/demand/force returning all these legacy /8
allocations? I think I understand the difficulty in that, but then
running out of IPs is also a difficult issue. :-)

For some reason I sooner see all IPv4 space being exhausted than IPv6
being actually implemented globally.

Greetings,
Jeroen

I've got a rather stupidly simple and straightforward plan, since we're all throwing ideas out.

Take back all the IP space from China and give them a single /20 and tell them to make do.  They're already behind a
great firewall, so they should have no problem using NAT with their citizens for easier restricting of freedoms, and
for the actual services they need to run, they can assign a limited amount of static IP addresses for servers, and
the rest NAT as well, and port forward for specific services.

Probably not the biggest flaw in this plan, but:

Total number of RFC-1918 addresses: 18+ million.
Population of China: More than 1.325 billion.

I'll leave the other political aspects to others, but, the math simply doesn't work.

Owen