nanog mailing list archives

Re: Connectivity to an IPv6-only site

From: Brielle Bruns <bruns () 2mbit com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 10:46:07 -0600

On 4/23/10 3:49 AM, Dave Hart wrote:
On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 08:26 UTC, Steve Bertrand<steve () ibctech ca>  wrote:
- in WHOIS, I have ns1 and ns2.onlyv6.com listed as the authoritative
name servers

- both of these servers *only* have IPv6 addresses

Which seems a bit far afield from reality to me.  Yes, there are lots
of folks with IPv6 connectivity and v4-only recursive DNS servers.  I
don't think ISPs will have problems setting aside a handful of IPv4
addresses for authoritative DNS infrastructure to work around this
until v6 transport in recursive DNS servers is common enough.

Dave,

I think part of the point of this is to discover gotchas with our current infrastructure. For example, while diagnosing why I couldn't get onlyv6.com to resolve on one of my name servers but the others worked fine, I discovered that PowerDNS Recursor won't use an IPv6 address for outgoing queries unless you actually give it:

query-local-address6=

One of my name servers had it, the other didn't, hence I was getting failures on one and success on the other. Its little config issues like that that can crop up weeks/months/years later and make life difficult.

Now that I'm a Xen shop, I design domUs to last years at a time rather then rebuilding them constantly. Being able to shunt stable and reliable domU hosts to new dom0 machines when they come up is a great thing, and makes my life alot easier. :)

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org