nanog mailing list archives

Re: Connectivity to an IPv6-only site

From: Larry Sheldon <LarrySheldon () cox net>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 09:57:05 -0500

On 4/23/2010 03:26, Steve Bertrand wrote:
On 2010.04.23 03:35, Larry Sheldon wrote:

From my PC at home (Cox in Omaha) I can't even get a nameserver that
knows the site.

Larry... let me explain why. Although you might not understand, others
will, and you may remember this as something when you do use IPv6.

Believe me, nobody can remember everything, and what I'm trying to
achieve here is isolating easy-to-document issues.

It may be above your head at this time, but my objective is to find out
the rough edges, that net ops will be able to identify quickly when
problems arise... much like looking for reckless filtering of ICMP on an
IPv6 network.

It actually all makes sense (not to be confused with "I have a deep and
abiding understanding now").

Why you can't get a name server... because this is how the domain is
configured:

I started to whine about the "misleading" error message I go, but when I
did it again to copy it I see that it was a mix of not-understanding and
of thinking I did:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>tracert onlyv6.com
Unable to resolve target system name onlyv6.com.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

That doesn't say "Unable to locate a nameserver" which I would have bet
it said.

I'll go away quietly now.

Thanks for the explanation.

--
Somebody should have said:
A democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting
the vote.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca