nanog mailing list archives

Re: legacy /8

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 00:14:14 +0000

On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 03:25:22PM -0700, Jeroen van Aart wrote:
Cutler James R wrote:
I also just got a fresh box of popcorn.  I will sit by and wait

I honestly am not trying to be a troll. It's just everytime I glance
over the IANA IPv4 Address Space Registry I feel rather annoyed about
all those /8s that were assigned back in the day without apparently
realising we might run out.

        its well to remember that when they got that space, the minimum
        allocation was a /8.  you couldn't get anything smaller because
        "classful" addressing wasn;t invented yet.  Only (much) later could
        you get "B" or "C" space... and after classful died in v4, we had
        CIDR.  IPv6 as effectively reindroduced classful addressing.

Regards,
Jeroen

--bill