nanog mailing list archives

Re: Mail Submission Protocol

From: Dave CROCKER <dhc2 () dcrocker net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 15:17:28 -0700

On 4/21/2010 6:49 AM, Claudio Lapidus wrote:
So we are considering ways to further filter this traffic. We are evaluating
implementation of MSA through port 587.

RFC 5068, Email Submission Operations: Access and Accountability Requirements, is a BCP. It specifies authenticated port 587 for email submission across the net.

As others have noted, it works well through a wide variety of access environments. I don't remember the last time I found it blocked. I use it over TLS, of course.

Blocking of outbound port 25 for all hosts not explicitly authorized has become common. The fact that 587 default to authenticated is the win.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking