nanog mailing list archives

Re: Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

From: Mohacsi Janos <mohacsi () niif hu>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 09:37:52 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010, Leen Besselink wrote:

I actually think the razor thin margins make it less likely.

If I'm not mistaken, one of the reasons firmware updates are not
available from a number of vendors/products, is because the small
boxes don't have enough ROM and/or RAM.

The ROM is to small to hold an extra stack (or other features) and/or
the RAM is to small to handle the connection tracking for the larger
addresses. Because people want a stateful firewall, right ?

In a very low end devices maybe. Mid range devices there is enough flash and RAM. I have been using openwrt on various devices (asus, dlink, lynksys) with ipv6 for more than 3 years.

Best Regards,
                Janos Mohacsi