nanog mailing list archives

Re: Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian () creative net au>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:47:39 +0800

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010, Perry Lorier wrote:

One of my colleagues here (Shane Alcock) did some research into "Service
Provider NAT" based off passive traces from a New Zealand Residential
ISP[1].  By passively looking at connections he investigated how you
could dimension a NAT box for an ISP.  His research is available here
http://www.wand.net.nz/~salcock/spnat/tech_report.pdf .  If walls of
text scare you (why are you reading this mailing list then?) skip
through and look at the graphs (page 3 onwards)

Interesting. Only a few days, and not really any analysis for worst
case scenarios and how to possibly gracefully recover from those.
(eg, I've done some NAT hacks to detect idle HTTP pconns and toss
those before tossing the others.)

Adrian