nanog mailing list archives

Re: Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 12:54:24 +0200

* Patrick W. Gilmore:

Reality is that as soon as SSL web servers and SSL-capable web
browsers have support for name-based virtual hosts, the number of
IPv4 addresses required will drop.  Right now, you need 1 IP
address for 1 SSL site; SNI spec of SSL gets rid of that.

Agreed.

When do you expect Windows XP & earlier versions to be a small enough
segment of the userbase that businesses will consider DoS'ing those
customers?   My guess is when the cost of additional v4 addresses is
higher than the profit generated by those customers.

Put another way: Not until it is too late.

I'm not so sure.  Name-based virtual hosting for plain HTTP was
introduced when Windows NT 4.0 was still in wide use.  It originally
came with Internet Explorer 2.0, which did not send the Host: header
in HTTP requests.

Anyway, I think the TLS thing is a bit of a red herring.  It might be
a popular justification for IP space at the formal level, but
real-world requirements are a bit more nuanced.  FTP and SSH/SFTP do
not support name-based virtual hosting, so if you're a web hoster and
structured things around "one IPv4 address per customer", then there
might be another obstacle to collapsing everything on a single IPv4
address.  It's also difficult to attribute DoS attackers at sub-HTTP
layers to a customer if everything is on a single IPv4 address, making
mitigation a bit harder.