nanog mailing list archives

Re: Google Pagerank and "Class-C Addresses"

From: Leslie <leslie () craigslist org>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 16:20:06 -0700

Sebastian Wiesinger wrote:
Hello Nanog,

I'm looking into a weird request which more and more customers have.
They want "different Class C addresses", by which they mean IPs in
different /24 subnets.

The apparent reason for this is that Google will rank links from
different /24 higher then links from the same /24. So it's a SEO
thingy.

I've found that a lot of spammers enjoy having diverse ip's from which to mail/proxy requests. This may just be a case of ignorance/rumors on your customers part, but I might suspect some of them of being spammers...

Leslie