nanog mailing list archives

Re: Repeated Blacklisting / IP reputation

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 12:42:53 -0400

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 11:30 PM, Leo Vegoda <leo.vegoda () icann org> wrote:
On Sep 9, 2009, at 7:18 PM, Alex Lanstein wrote:

Along the same lines, I noticed that the worst Actor in recent
memory (McColo - AS26780) stopped paying their bills to ARIN and
their addresses have been returned to the pool.

It's my opinion that a very select number of CIDR blocks (another
example being the ones belonging to Cernel/InternetPath/Atrivo/etc,
if it were ever fully extinguished) are, and forever will be,
completely toxic and unusable to any legitimate enterprise.
Arguments could be made that industry blacklists can and should be
more flexible, but from the considerably more innocuous case in this
thread, that is apparently not the modus operandi

Putting these addresses back into use does not mean that they have to
be allocated to networks where they'll number mail servers. ARIN staff
is doubtless aware of the history of these blocks and will presumably
do their best to allocate them to networks that aren't intended to
host mail servers.

to quote bmanning.. they may even be put into service on a network
that is not 'the internet'. Though I think Alex's idea isn't without
merit, perhaps as a stage between 'de-allocate from non-payer' and
'allocate to new payer'. (perhaps only for blocks meeting some set of
criteria, yet to be determined/discussed)

-Chris