nanog mailing list archives

Re: Repeated Blacklisting / IP reputation

From: Justin Shore <justin () justinshore com>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 14:57:17 -0500

Wayne E. Bouchard wrote:
Best practices for the public or subscription RBLs should be to place
a TTL on the entry of no more than, say, 90 days or thereabouts. Best
practices for manual entry should be to either keep a list of what and
when or periodically to simply blow the whole list away and start anew
to get rid of stale entries. Of course, that is probably an unreal
expectation.

I've had to implement something similar for my RTBH trigger router. After manually-adding nearly 20,000 static routes of hosts that scanned for open proxies or attacked SSH daemons on my network I had to trim the block list considerably because many of my older PEs couldn't handle that many routes without problems. I already named each static with a reason for the block(SSH, Telnet, Proxy-scan, etc) but ended up prepending a date to that string as well: 20090908-SSH-Scan. That way I can parse the config later on and create config to negate everything that's older than 3-4 months. If one of those old IPs is still trying to get to me after 4 months then it will get readded the next time I process my logs entries. If they aren't trying to hit me then they'll no longer be consuming space in my RIB.

Justin