nanog mailing list archives

Re: OSPF vs IS-IS vs PrivateAS eBGP

From: Cord MacLeod <cordmacleod () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 18:49:59 -0700

On Sep 11, 2009, at 6:23 PM, Randy Bush wrote:

I seem to get the impression that isis is preferred in the core. Any
reasons why folks dont prefer to go with ospf?

a bit harder to attack clnp (is-is) than ip (ospf)

is-is a bit simpler to configure, though you can get a sick as you
want.  but don't.

a bit simpler to code, so worked and was stable when ospf was far
flakier than it is now.

I'd also add that ISIS supports IPv6 through the addition of TLVs whereas OSPF was redesigned into OSPFv3.

Personally I like ISIS due to it's simplicity and use it for router loopback advertisement only.