nanog mailing list archives

Re: Dutch ISPs to collaborate and take responsibility for botted clients

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 22:20:09 +0200

Christopher Morrow wrote:
I would also point out that Qwest does this walled-garden approach for
their customers (have been for at least 5 years now? DonS@qwest could
clarify) and they've seen success with it. Aliant in .ca also has some
fairly aggressive anti-malware works installed.  There are places
where this sort of thing works well, planned and engineered properly.
I think Qwest, at least, made some of their reasoning and design/goals
publicly available for a time as well.

I think Jonathan Curtis did something similar at Bell, but I only spoke with him about it for a couple of second two years ago, as Rio was rather distracting. So am unsure.

Apparently, marketing departments like the idea of being able to send customers that need to pay them to a walled garden. It also saves on tech support costs. Security being the main winner isn't the main supporter of the idea at some places.

        Gadi.