nanog mailing list archives

Re: Dutch ISPs to collaborate and take responsibility for botted clients

From: Peter Beckman <beckman () angryox com>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 14:55:24 -0400

On Sun, 4 Oct 2009, Owen DeLong wrote:

  * Provide a short period of time (3 days) after notification and before
    disconnect to give an opportunity to fix the issue without service
    interruption

Uh... Here I differ.  The rest of the internet should put up with the abuse
flowing out of your network for 3 days to avoid disruption to you? Why?
Sorry, if you have a customer who is sourcing malicious activity, whether
intentional or by accident, I believe the ISP should take whatever action
is necessary to stop the outflow of that malicious behavior as quickly
as possible while simultaneously making all reasonable effort to contact
the customer in question.

 Yeah, after a few people privately emailed me regarding the same, the
 short period of time should be thrown out, for the good of the rest of the
 'net.

 The "short period" was initially intended for infections that were not
 active or immediately impacting, but were detected to be infected
 none-the-less.  Assuming active "bad behavior" immediate disconnect is
 prudent and wise.

 As our ability to remotely detect virus and trojans improves, I suspect
 such an ISP-provided service would as well.

  * Offer a simple, automated way to get the connection re-tested and
    unblocked immediately (within 15 minutes) using a web service
    accessible even if the connection is blocked

Either a web interface or even a telephonic process. It doesn't necessarily
need to be automated, but, it shouldn't be a 3 day wait for a technician
to get back to you. It should definitely be a pretty rapid process once
the abuse is resolved.

 Agreed.  Another emailer mentioned that it's not always simple to
 determine if the abuse is resolved or not, nor is it easy to explain this
 to a non-technical customer in a way that makes them happy with their
 service being cut off.  However it is ignorance and lack of maintenance
 that makes viruses and botnets so prevelant that it may just be time to
 bite the bullet and force users to learn how to maintain their machines.

  * Force the customer to call customer service to ask for a retest or
    reconnect
I don't really see a problem with this, so long as customer service is
responsive to such a call.

 I like self-service.  If it is 3am and staff is not available, making the
 process automated would be ideal.  If the staff is 24/7, agreed.

Beckman
beckman () angryox com                                 http://www.angryox.com/