nanog mailing list archives

Re: ISP customer assignments

From: Nathan Ward <nanog () daork net>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 15:12:11 +1300

On 20/10/2009, at 3:10 PM, bmanning () vacation karoshi com wrote:

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 03:07:39PM +1300, Nathan Ward wrote:
On 20/10/2009, at 3:02 PM, Bill Stewart wrote:

plus want the ability to take their address
space with them when they change ISPs (because there are too many
devices and applications that insist on having hard-coded IP addresses
instead of using DNS, and because DNS tends to get cached more often
than you'd sometimes like.

That's why we have Unique Local Addresses.

        but Nathan,  they are only statistically unique.

Sure, but I don't think that changes my point.

Also if you want to increase your chances of uniqueness (which are already pretty good if you're not using subnet 0 or 1 or whatever) you can jump on to somewhere on the sixxs site and announce that you're using a specific ULA prefix.

--
Nathan Ward