nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Deployment for the LAN

From: Kevin Loch <kloch () kl net>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 14:10:51 -0400

TJ wrote:
In some cases different devices on a segment need a different
default router (for default).  This is the fundamental

This capability is also defined, "more specific routes" - but no one
encouraged any vendors that I know of to support it - so they don't.  Big
demand?

by "Default" I meant 0.0.0.0/0, not more specifics.

problem with RA's, they shotgun the entire segment.

As opposed to a standard deployment, where the DHCP server provides the same
information to every host on that link ... ???

Not always.  The DHCP server can be aware of specific clients by
mac address and give different options (and even pseudo-static IPs).
DHCP server is not always running on a router so adding this functionality to routers won't help.

- Kevin