nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Deployment for the LAN

From: Kevin Loch <kloch () kl net>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 11:45:22 -0400

Nathan Ward wrote:

On 19/10/2009, at 1:10 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:

On Oct 18, 2009, at 3:05 AM, Nathan Ward wrote:

On 18/10/2009, at 11:02 PM, Andy Davidson wrote:

On 18 Oct 2009, at 09:29, Nathan Ward wrote:

RA is needed to tell a host to use DHCPv6

This is not ideal.

Why?
Remember RA does not mean SLAAC, it just means RA.

Because RA assumes that all routers are created equal.

RFC4191

In some cases different devices on a segment need a different
default router (for default).  This is the fundamental
problem with RA's, they shotgun the entire segment.

Because RA is harder to filter.

DHCP in IPv4 was hard to filter before vendors implemented it, too.

Because the bifercated approach to giving a host router/mask information and address information
    creates a number of unnecessary new security concerns.

Security concerns would be useful to explore. Can you expand on this?

What would be useful would be having the option to give a default
router to a dhcpv6 client, and having vrrpv6 work without RA's.
Why can't we have those options in our toolbox in addition to
this continuously evolving RA+hacks?

- Kevin