nanog mailing list archives

Re: ISP customer assignments

From: "Ricky Beam" <jfbeam () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 21:19:19 -0400

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 09:33:03 -0400, Justin Shore <justin () justinshore com> wrote:
He didn't really give much of a reason for the /127s yet. I think it's coming up in a later session. I think it basically boiled down to whether or not the customer would actually use anything bigger. I'll write back when we get into that discussion.

It's the IPv6 equiv of an IPv4 /30 link network. Then a /64 or whatever can be aimed to that link address. This is exactly what Bellsouth does for business DSL: the link has a dynamic address and your netblock is then routed to it. (this is confusing and unworkable for a lot of cheap hardware.)