nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cogent leaking /32s?

From: ML <ml () kenweb org>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 23:36:45 -0400

Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 10:54:13AM -0500, Clue Store wrote:
Yes, I absolutely love the /24 filtering "everybody" does. Internet
littering at its best.

http://thyme.apnic.net/current/data-badpfx-nos

There is no rule that says you have to filter at /24, or that no other
network may ever advertise something longer. This issue is probably best
expressed as "you are highly unlikely to have full global Internet
reachability if you announce something longer than a /24", not "you are
highly unlikely to have anyone accept your announcement if it are longer
than a /24".

Just to clarify it was a /32 for Cogent A/B peering. When I set it up they didn't recommend setting no-export.