nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 internet broken, Verizon route prefix length policy

From: Jeff McAdams <jeffm () iglou com>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 15:26:28 -0400

Seth Mattinen wrote:

If you are interested, I don't want to spam the list with my Verizon
horror story, but you can read it here:
http://www.rollernet.us/wordpress/category/ipv6/

At the risk of sounding like I'm piling on, I'm in the same basically the same boat that Seth is, except that I do know who my account rep is and have been in touch with him.

Verizon's policy has been related to me that they will not accept or propogate any IPv6 route advertisements with prefix lengths longer than /32. Full stop. So that even includes those of us that have /48 PI space from ARIN that are direct customers of Verizon.

I've been told that Verizon is discussing this policy and whether it should be updated, but until they update their policy to be in line with the IPv6 Internet allocation/assignment policies from at least September of 2006 (when ARIN assigned their first /48 from 2620:0::/23), if your announcements are only longer than /32, you should be aware that Verizon is completely unreachable for you - even if you are a Verizon customer directly.

--
Jeff McAdams