nanog mailing list archives

Re: Ethernet over DS3 Converters

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 07:35:50 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009, Bryan King wrote:

You can use them as a simple Ethernet bridge if that is all you need/want, but they also will handle VLAN tagging, tag-in-tag, VLAN switching, rate-limiting, CoS, etc. Some people don't like them because there is no CLI for management only a web-based GUI and SNMP.

I used some RAD T3-FE media converters from 8 years back or so. They had really small buffers (just a few ms) so if power usage is not a problem, I'd definitely recommend a used 7200 (non-vxr) with NPE-225 and IO-FE and a PA-T3. It probably uses 10x more power than the T3-FE converter, but it does a much better job of getting the traffic thru in a nice friendly manner (fair-queue is really nice).

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se