nanog mailing list archives

Re: about interdomain multipath routing.

From: Matthew Petach <mpetach () netflight com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 01:23:13 -0800

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 1:10 AM, Doug Lane <laned1 () gmail com> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 3:50 AM, Matthew Petach <mpetach () netflight com> wrote:
I've outlawed the use of multihop eBGP for load-sharing here; when we get
multiple links off the same router to a peer or upstream, they are configured
with multipath.  We've got hundreds of BGP sessions across the network
configured with multipath on them.

Do you use iBGP multipath as well to load-balance between links on
different routers?

Yes.

I know eBGP multipath is fairly common, but I wonder how many are
using iBGP multipath as well. I doubt any carriers would support it,
so it's probably only useful for load-balancing outbound traffic. The
problem with eBGP multipath alone is that you might want to terminate
circuits from a given carrier on two different routers for redundancy
reasons, but that precludes any load-balancing with eBGP multipath.
Obviously your network has to be designed with equal-cost paths for
iBGP multipath to be of any value.

-Doug

iBGP with multipath, multiple LSPs to each BGP next-hop...much load
balancing across all same-cost internal links to each of the eBGP
multihop next-hops.

inet.0: 300787 destinations, 2675963 routes (300092 active, 2
holddown, 2086 hidden)

Yes...takes up a chunk more memory keeping track of all the
different paths, but it does provide more end-to-end load balancing
of traffic even on different routers.

Matt