nanog mailing list archives

Re: What DNS Is Not

From: Andrew Cox <andrew () accessplus com au>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 14:45:19 +1030

Shouldn't such apps be checking the content they receive back from a server anyway? Regardless of if they think they're getting to the right server (due to a bogus non-NXDOMAIN response) there should be some sort of validation in place.. otherwise you're open in any sort of man-in-the-middle attack.

I think the issue is more that older apps would expect that if they can get a response then everything is ok.. perhaps this simply an outdated method and needs to be rethought.