nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why choose 120 volts?

From: Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 18:24:20 -0700

Joe Greco wrote:
Once upon a time, Joe Greco <jgreco () ns sol net> said:
And I don't like not having anywhere to plug in my power screwdriver's
recharger...  I suppose I should see if I can find someplace that has
a transformer of an appropriate size, or does anyone already have the
part number for something that can provide a few hunderd milliamps of
120V from 208?  :-)
Isn't 208V usually provided as a connection across two phases of a 3
phase circuit?  In that case, you get 120V by going between one phase
and neutral (no transformer required).

Yes, but this doesn't imply that you have access to those other phases.
It is easy enough to be delivered 208V single phase service in a data
center environment.

... JG

Correct. I have a Smart-UPS RT connected across two legs of 3 phase for
208. The unit does not have a neutral, only ground, so it's 3 wires in
and 3 out. The output is only 208 L-L with odd voltages on L-G. Since
there's no neutral, it can only be used to drive 208 loads or a
transformer for 120.

~Seth