nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why choose 120 volts?

From: Joe Greco <jgreco () ns sol net>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 19:19:46 -0500 (CDT)

Once upon a time, Joe Greco <jgreco () ns sol net> said:
And I don't like not having anywhere to plug in my power screwdriver's
recharger...  I suppose I should see if I can find someplace that has
a transformer of an appropriate size, or does anyone already have the
part number for something that can provide a few hunderd milliamps of
120V from 208?  :-)

Isn't 208V usually provided as a connection across two phases of a 3
phase circuit?  In that case, you get 120V by going between one phase
and neutral (no transformer required).

Yes, but this doesn't imply that you have access to those other phases.
It is easy enough to be delivered 208V single phase service in a data
center environment.

... JG