nanog mailing list archives

Re: Multi-homed clients and BGP timers

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 19:59:56 -0500

Steve Bertrand wrote:
Well, unfortunately, the local PUC owns the fibre, and they have a
switch aggregating all of their fibre in a star pattern. They then trunk
the VLANs to me across two redundant pair. I'm in the process of
persuading them to allow me to put my own gear in their location so I
can manage it myself (no risk of port-monitor, no risk of their ops
fscking up my clients etc). This way, they connect from their
client-facing converter into whatever port in my switch I tell them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this exactly the type of situation that BFD was designed to detect and help with?

Jack