nanog mailing list archives

Re: how many BGP routers, how many ASes

From: Ray Sanders <Ray.Sanders () VillageVoiceMedia com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 09:19:10 -0700

Irfan,

This is sent weekly to the list:

Routing Table Report   04:00 +10GMT Sat 09 May, 2009

Report Website:     http://thyme.apnic.net
Detailed Analysis:  http://thyme.apnic.net/current/

Analysis Summary
----------------

BGP routing table entries examined:                              288037
    Prefixes after maximum aggregation:                          136199
    Deaggregation factor:                                          2.11
    Unique aggregates announced to Internet:                     140785
Total ASes present in the Internet Routing Table:                 31199
    Prefixes per ASN:                                              9.23
Origin-only ASes present in the Internet Routing Table:           27142
Origin ASes announcing only one prefix:                           13239
Transit ASes present in the Internet Routing Table:                4057
Transit-only ASes present in the Internet Routing Table:             96
Average AS path length visible in the Internet Routing Table:       3.6
    Max AS path length visible:                                      33
    Max AS path prepend of ASN (43683)                               31
Prefixes from unregistered ASNs in the Routing Table:               461
    Unregistered ASNs in the Routing Table:                         151
Number of 32-bit ASNs allocated by the RIRs:                        142
Prefixes from 32-bit ASNs in the Routing Table:                      30
Special use prefixes present in the Routing Table:                    0
Prefixes being announced from unallocated address space:            194
Number of addresses announced to Internet:                   2039977920
    Equivalent to 121 /8s, 151 /16s and 151 /24s
    Percentage of available address space announced:               55.0
    Percentage of allocated address space announced:               63.7
    Percentage of available address space allocated:               86.4
    Percentage of address space in use by end-sites:               76.9
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:      142407