nanog mailing list archives

Re: how many BGP routers, how many ASes

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 12:01:28 -0400

On May 13, 2009, at 11:53 AM, Irfan Zakiuddin wrote:

I have scouted around for this information, but not get very far.  I'm
hoping someone will have answers at hand.

You obviously didn't look very hard. The answer to the first question is posted to this very list every Friday:

   <http://www.cidr-report.org/as2.0/>

The last two are probably not really knowable with any precision, but you might find some estimates. Although I'm not really sure what utility the number is.

--
TTFN,
patrick

What I want to know is roughly how many :

1.  ASes there are in the world today?
2. BGP routers there are, for intra-domain as well as inter-domain routing,
in total in the world?
3.  BGP routers do the largest ASes have?

Really interesting would then be to say either how fast the above numbers are growing, or to give estimates for what the answers to 1-3 will be in 5
years time.

An Internet source that provides the above information would be most useful
- though I can't seem to find it with google.

I'd be grateful for answer to be sent to me directly, whether you also post
to NANOG is up to you.

thanks in advance.

irfan