nanog mailing list archives

Re: two interfaces one subnet

From: David Devereaux-Weber <ddevereauxweber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 17:08:45 -0500

In my case, each Ethernet interface has its own unique MAC address.

Dave

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 4:28 PM, Hector Herrera <hectorherrera () gmail com>wrote:

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 2:22 PM, David Devereaux-Weber
<ddevereauxweber () gmail com> wrote:
Chris,

I work with iHDTV <http://ihdtv.org>, a project that sends uncompressed
high
definition television (1.5 Gbps) as UDP over two 1 Gbps interfaces.  If
both
interfaces are on the same subnet, the OS sees the same router (gateway)
address on both interfaces, and the results are sub-optimal ... around
50%
packet loss.

packet loss is probably due to the network switch having to re-learn
the location of the MAC address constantly as it sees packets on two
or more ports with the same MAC address (think STP loops).

If your network stack and network device (switch) supports LACP, then
you can have multiple connections between a host and a network device.
 That is a very easy way to increase capacity and add redundancy.

That is how all of our VMWare ESX 3.5i servers are connected.

Hector