nanog mailing list archives

Re: Usage-Based Billing for DIA

Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 09:30:14 +0000

Jon Lewis wrote:
On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, Rodriguez, Mauricio wrote:

Looking at possibilities for an implementation of usage-based billing, it seems that the same techniques and tools always come up. I'm looking for some feedback from the list on experiences with these tools and techniques as well as alternatives that may not be listed here.

+Techniques
--Flow data (Netflow, SFlow, etc) analysis to determine 95th percentile traffic levels --SNMP polling of interface counters to determine 95th percentile traffic levels

I need to look into this in the near future as well. The problems I'm aware of are:

1) we have customers on policed ports, and the interface snmp counters count packets before service-policy. It doesn't seem right to bill for packets we dropped :)...so this isn't useful data for billing purposes.

Torrus (www.torrus.org) can use the Cisco MIBs to graph pre and post-policy packets.

http://www.torrus.org/plugins/tp-cisco-cbqos.pod.html

Sam