nanog mailing list archives

Re: MAC address confusion

From: "Kevin Oberman" <oberman () es net>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 13:50:33 -0800

Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 08:42:16 +0200
From: Saku Ytti <saku+nanog () ytti fi>

On (2009-03-02 17:31 -0800), Kevin Oberman wrote:

http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/oui.txt
02-07-01   (hex)              RACAL-DATACOM

Would be interesting to see what are the historical reasons.Perhaps they simply
predate the scheme or some might not even co-exist in ethernet network to begin
with, in which case they might be better documented elsewhere.

IEEE after 802.3 was ratified. IEEE agreed to retain existing
registrations and they have remained there.

So where does this leave the current local scape addresses being globally
assigned? Is it possible that we will run into legit 02 MAC addresses
in the wild?

Thee are properly "locally assigned",not "local scope" addresses, but
the effect is the same.

This is only a problem if you have multiple systems running DECnet (or
some other protocol using this) with the same layer 3 address. That
should never happen, so there should be no duplication.

The only real issue I see is with IPv6 EUI-64 addresses and even in that
case, there would have to be two systems getting their address space
from the same router interface before there is a conflict.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)