nanog mailing list archives

Re: Akamai wierdness

From: jamie rishaw <j () arpa com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 00:33:58 -0500

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 1:08 PM, JC Dill <jcdill.lists () gmail com> wrote:

The reply I received came from someone who works in the NOC, not from
Patrick (who doesn't work in the NOC).

It's really poor form to make these unfounded assertions without any basis
for them.
jc

[Akamai customer. Hi.]

Akamai customer support is ccare@.  It's in all the literature, and their
support site.  You're arguing a suboptimal answer.

Customers with issues should use Akamai Edgecontrol.  This is from the
horse's mouth[1].  They can also use, and anyone can use, the ccare@ box.
The ccare@ email address interfaces to Edgecontrol and tons of other Akamai
sorcery[2], which does a whole bunch of jedi nunchuckery[3], giving the ops
tech a lot more info out of the gate.

Anyone claiming noc@ : not the place for issues to go to, and Akamai will
tell you that.[4]

Moving on, nation :

What bugs me about this thread(thanks for asking!) is that someone posted to
the list, trying to troubleshoot a problem affecting multiple customers. He
tried (brace yourself) collaboration, and was met with a quasi shot across
the bow from someone At That Company.  If you want to judge (how do I
configure my router for that?),  I'd point to the key employee of said
vendor, who, instead of replying to the poster with a ticket number and
ownership, "posted to 10k strangers" a snarky comment that one shouldnt post
"to 10k strangers".  Orly.

Now, I have nothing against anyone in this situation - we all get testy..
arguably, I am now ;-)  Not looking to start a flame war.  E-mail who you
want.

Obligatory Win : Someone wrote in this thread earlier re emailing noc@ and
getting an email back in 17 minutes.  For what it's worth, I forwarded the
original two posts to *ccare@* (before the war) (with no other contact info,
specifically stating it was someone else's problem) and got a phone call in
less than five.

Whut whut?  If only /all/ vendors' systems were that good..

-j.

[1] www.akamai.com/html/support/
[2] www.akamai.com/html/technology/
[3] i believe that is the technical term they used, yes.
[4] +1 877 4 akatec.

--
Jamie Rishaw // .com.arpa@j <- reverse it. ish.
[Impressive C-level Title Here], arpa / arpa labs