nanog mailing list archives

Re: tor

From: Jamon Camisso <jamonation () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 19:26:51 -0400

Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
If you did this activity with the express purpose of helping someone
else hide their identity, and thus their crime could be traced back to
you but no further, you might end up looking like you were aiding and
abetting.

Since when was anonymity a crime? Neither entails the other.

I've run a tor relay, and I'm pretty confident that just because I'm up in layer 3+ land, common carrier status would apply, if anyone could even detect the contents of the traffic passing through my systems in the first place (the whole point of tor being to mitigate against exactly that).

Some good tips for anyone thinking about running a relay or exit node, the first of which is to inform your isp. tor is a great tool, more people please! https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tips-running-exit-node-minimal-harassment