nanog mailing list archives

Re: tor

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 18:13:52 -0500

Joe Blanchard wrote:
My gosh...

Ok, so if someone happens to talk about murder over the phone, is the phone
company providing the service held liable?

Lets get back to rational/informative content please.

The phone company still has to provide records of who owns the phone number and perhaps allow a tap of the phone depending on court orders. I seem to have to maintain a CALEA server and compliance which I will probably never use but is mandated by law. If the courts find they can never find the owner of an IP, then the laws will mandate that we maintain such records; and in fact, there has been more than one bill for provisioning the storage of all emails for subpoena purposes.

I'm not familiar with TOR, but I suspect that governments can still step through it to find the person responsible if perhaps a bit more time consuming.

Jack