nanog mailing list archives

Re: Use of Default in the DFZ: banned in philly, see it now on the net!

From: Lixia Zhang <lixia () cs ucla edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 11:25:26 -0700

On Jun 24, 2009, at 11:04 AM, Pete Templin wrote:

Ricardo Oliveira wrote:
Jack,
Please give me your ASN and i'll double check our data. As long as the network has 4 or less downstreams, it's being labeled as "stub".
More details here:
http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~rveloso/papers/completeness-ton.pdf

I guess the old adage, "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not.", comes into play here.

I agree completely.
In a private reply I just sent to Randy, I said "have you heard my
paraphrase of murphy's law: the internet is so large, so anything
imaginable can happen:-)"

the world cannot be sorted to just black-white, or any limited number of simple definitions

In (your) theory, your paper may hold up. In practice, your definition of stub network is most likely considered wrong, and that likely shifts a lot of the assumptions in your paper.

But I also believe that there are a few common practical patterns that cover majority of reality. We need to be mindful of diversity in real world but also capture basic common patterns (I'd agree that the paper perhaps should have said a few more words about the former).

Lixia